Sunday, April 27, 2008

Leftover life: Stowed!

Mom's condo is empty at long last. Two station wagon loadfuls, and a final truck's trip for the couch to another family's living room with the same color decor as Mom's.

I just spoke with a young woman from Craigslist who is delighted with the 1950's style Smith Corona manual typewriter and rapturous over the prospect of the vintage black Singer sewing machine. All of Mom's life lovingly tucked away in hearts and homes.

I sometimes wondered if I'd lost my mind (or perhaps would lose it) handling each and everything with care as to the perfect disposition. Now I know it was the best way to honor her life and say good-bye.

8 comments:

Laura in L.A. said...

Yay, Doc! I know your wonderful Mom is so proud of what an equally wonderful daughter she has.

Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done. :):)

Love, Laura

denverdoc said...

Laura, I know you've been there, doing that. I have so appreciated all your supportive comments over these past months.

Reality Man said...

Who got the encyclopedia?

JeanMac said...

Mom would be proud of you, Judy. It's so difficult to "sort and give" but now her treasures will be loved by someone else.
Understand the difficulty "handling each" - you did an awesome job.
Maybe a weekend getaway is in order.

Wendy said...

Oh boy, I'll second JeanMac's comment about a weekend getaway!

denverdoc said...

JM and W: Will take two weeks off at the end of this month. I can hardly wait!

RM: Try giving away a basically new 1979 set of the Encyclopedia Britannica on Craigslist.com. Not gonna' happen. The sister of a good friend took one for the team and took the entire collection! She plans to start at A, her mom will start at Z, and they will read the entire thing. Theoretically.

Reality Man said...

I thought someone might want a few yards of high prestige, low tech information for nothing; no one need know that it is superannuated by both the passage of time and the Internet.

Mauigirl said...

What a wonderful way to empty your other's condo. It's great that you took the time to find the right "homes" for her possessions.