Sunday, July 04, 2021

 

Nootropes

 

Nootropes refer to drugs, supplements, herbs, etc. that are believed to improve cognitive functions.  Sometimes a lost word is not just a word-finding problem (as mentioned in a previous newsletter) but an actual aging-related loss of normal brain functioning.

 

I personally take four of them daily:  bacopa monnieri, caffeine (in coffee form), choline, and creatine.  The problem, as always with supplements, is there’s no way to know whether or not they actually made a difference.  Perhaps healthy living and no nootropes at all would have sufficed.  There are many lists available on the internet touting the benefits of various brain boosters.  Here’s a list that explains 14 possible nootrope choices(1).

 

I recommended bacopa monnieri to a good friend.  Here’s her text:

I started bacopa today.

The pills are creepy and black but I feel good!

Except I couldn’t remember the word bacopa so I guess it’s not helping that much.

 

1.  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3746283/

No comments: